Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

Another wonderful day in Iraq!

I was just thinking this morning of what could possibly happen that would top what we’ve already done and seen. Well, how about this:
We began the day outside of Balad, and boarded yet another Blackhawk that took us directly over the heart of the city. Flying rooftop level over many of the cities I have only heard about since the invasion has proven to be exciting, but surreal.
We dropped into Camp Independence where our U.S. troops are training the Iraqi Army to eventually take over. Our timing was perfect! 2-star Iraqi General Abdul Amir walked out to greet us, and then we met with 3-star General Waji – the man overseeing that part of the Iraqi Army that controls the western half of Baghdad. The Tigris River splits Baghdad and most of this region has made massive strides in the last year. We had lunch with the “good guys,” and watched them kill time by giving each other IV’s for fun (I did not volunteer).
Too soon we were rushed out again to the next base near Sadr City. I've been asked not to disclose some of the places and things I have seen recently, so I will try to use my best discretion here.
This COP (Combat Outpost) is literally on the front lines. These soldiers are rotating patrols night and day, and have been doing so since last February. All I can say for now is that I wouldn’t want to be one of the insurgents. Our men and women are amazingly well equipped and trained for their missions. This outpost has no amenities, and the soldiers only get one hot meal per day. Remember they've been doing this continuously for one year – we’re talking 24-7! If you would, say a prayer tonight for these courageous front-line warriors.
Soon, we were again picked up by a Blackhawk, and traveled through the night sky to Camp Liberty, near Al Faw Palace. Here we gathered ourselves for what has truly turned out to just be an excuse for coming here to encourage all these wonderful soldiers – the Super Bowl. We spent a long night of FOB (Forward Operating Base) hopping to watch the amazing Giants’ underdog victory with the troops.
Monday Night Jihad was a huge hit at one of the FOB’s, and virtually every soldier requested a copy. And, of course, the game, too, was a huge hit, and was awesome for morale. We headed back to our quarters just after daybreak, and have to be at the chopper pad shortly. I’ve learned that they don't sleep around here – AT ALL!

Hope everyone is well, and as usual I will blog when able.

3 comments:

Danh said...

Tanks for the update on your visit Jason. Hope you are doing well.

J said...

Jason,
I saw the link to your blog on Focus on the Family's website. I haven't gotten to read your book yet but I def want to read it now. I am a nanny for five kids who lost their father, Major Troy Gilbert, a year ago November as he was killed near Baghdad, Iraq. He was an F-16 pilot who gave his life to save some men in trouble on the ground. More than this, he was a man who'd given his life to Christ years ago and who lived to serve God, family, and country. It is such an encouragement to see people reaching out to our troops who are sacrificing every single day and even better it is exciting to think of how Christian men like Troy, you, and others, are setting an example of what Jesus wants us to do- love Him and because of that, love and care for others more than self. Not only the troops, but also everyone here, and particularly these 5 kids need such examples in their lives! Thanks for your blog and for giving your time to these men and women who have given so much for us!

sharonsrosebud said...

Jason,
This is sharon (RALPHIE"S mom). How we miss you! Praise God for His love and mercy. I never heard from Becky after the time we last saw her.Please pray that I will continue to have the opportunity to witness as I did when working as a PT live-in nurse. I know they all went to be with the LORD since they accepted Him before they passed away.I hope to hear from you. My ph no is: 970-526-6926 and e-mail: sharonsrosebud@yahoo.com. God will continue to Bless you. I will be ordering your books. Will keep up with you through your blogs.
In CHRIST,
Sharon GOEGLEIN