Sunday, February 3, 2008

Flight of a Lifetime

Greetings from Baghdad!

Ok, I'll admit it. There are definitely some advantages to being an NFL player, and this time specifically to being a Denver Bronco.
There I was standing on the tarmac in Kuwait donning my body armor and Kevlar helmet, all in preparation for our C-130 Herc departure to Baghdad. Suddenly, the captain of the plane, who is from Colorado Springs and is a big-time Bronco fan, came out and asked if I'd like to sit up in the flight deck for departure. Without thinking twice I told her “You bet!” and left my tour comrades behind. What an unbelievable experience it was taking off in the cockpit of this huge four-engine turboprop!
I talked with the pilots for a while, before returning to my seat just in time for the forewarned “combat landing” into Baghdad. From 18,000 feet the pilot began a freefall. VERY COOL! You all have probably seen on television where they give astronauts the experience of weightlessness by nose-diving a plane for thousands of feet. Well, I saw several of my friends floating by me before they were rudely plunged into a different seat from where they started. As a pilot myself, this was most definitely a highlight. My comrades, however, felt quite differently.
In Baghdad, we were briefed by the operations Colonel and did another meet-n-greet with our soldiers before heading to our quarters. It turns out we are staying in a massive housing facility that Saddam Hussein had built for his daughter’s wedding. We were able to drop our gear, take a quick look around, and then head to the DFAC (yes, the Dining Facility).
The next morning, we awoke early to our military detonating some explosives nearby, which is a slightly different experience from being awakened by my alarm clock back home in Parker, Colorado. Since it’s kind of hard to sleep surrounded by explosions, I got myself out of bed and headed for breakfast where I ended up meeting a 3-star General (another thing which typically doesn't happen back in Parker – and another thing to add to my VERY COOL list).
Now, we're preparing to head to our Blackhawk helicopter to fly to our next FOB (Forward Operating Base) to encourage some more of our heroes. If you could see them all in their work environment, I guarantee you would be proud. Their example of commitment, discipline, and sacrifice is something I’ll carry with me always.
I'll blog again when able. Until then---HOOOO-AHHH!

Under Mercy,

Jason

2 comments:

Bruce Thoms said...

Hi Jason,
Pat and I are totally enjoying your reports from Iraq, particularly your career thoughts re a camel jockey! Like you, we are so moved by the dedication,loyalty and patriotism of our troops. Thank you so much for your contribution to their morale and welfare. May you fully enjoy the rest of your stay there, and have a safe trip home. God bless you, and the troops,
Best regards,
Pat and Bruce Thoms, from your recent Denver USO visit.

Anonymous said...

Jason,
I heard that you enjoy flying your plane up to Alaska. If you had access to (or, indeed, had) a floatplane you are more than welcome to land in Dolomi Bay in Southeast Alaska and enjoy some hospitality and good food! The invitation is always open!

Best
Jeremy