Friday, February 8, 2008

Reflections

Greetings from Chilly Colorado (otherwise known as Home Sweet Home),

Traveling the world has always been something I’ve loved. I enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds. I like seeing new sites. I am intrigued to find out why people believe what they believe. And I am always fascinated by immersing myself in unique cultures.
This love of other cultures was further enhanced when I left home to attend the University of Hawaii in 1988. Although it was a difficult transition in some ways, I grew to love my experience during college. I have friends literally all over the world, and consider any time spent with them to be a true blessing.
On the flight back from Iraq, I began to reflect on all of my experiences – not only this trip, but my previous adventures as well. As I did, one thing struck me. I realized that after each of these trips I have always been able to return home. And each time I return home, there is a sense of thankfulness and relief for being back in a country that allows us the freedoms we have. That's not to say we don’t have our issues here – we clearly do. However, without a doubt, we live in the greatest country on the globe.
I’ve just had a rare opportunity to go to a war zone. My whole purpose was to encourage our soldiers, yet I was the one who came back encouraged. As I look through the many photos I took in Iraq (at least 400) and reflect on the many stories our troops told me while I was there, I am filled with pride – pride in our troops who have sacrificed so much (current and veterans), and pride in our troops who made the ultimate sacrifice for me to be able to return home to my freedom.
This trip is going to take a lot of time to process for me. When I close my eyes, I think of the Blackhawk crew that painted stars on their chopper to remember their friends who have fallen, or the lobby of the 3rd Infantry Division which held the dog tags of friends they have lost, or the running loop of pictures on a big screen at COP Callahan showing their friends who have given their lives. In each of these situations, what impressed me so much is the way the troops are so determined to never forget their comrades.
I believe it is so very important to remember. In the Bible, God routinely told the Israelites to put up Memorial Stones. Why? So they would never forget. So they would always remember what the Lord did for them.
As I stood in line at U.S. Customs to officially re-enter America, I saw a soldier nearby. I made sure I went to him and said, “Thank you for all you do!” At times, I am sad to admit that I’ve taken our freedom for granted, but I don't think I ever will again.
I would like to encourage all of you to put up your own “Memorial Stone.” It could be a small stone placed on your kitchen windowsill or a large rock placed in your garden – just set something in a frequented area, so that every time you see it you will remember the sacrifices that have been and are continuing to be made for all of us here in the great U.S. of A., and you will also send up a quick prayer for all those who are constantly putting it all on the line for us.
Blessings to all of you, and thanks again for taking the time to follow me through the last week in Iraq.

Under Mercy,
Jason

8 comments:

Kyle said...

Jason,

Thanks for the time you spent to visit our troops in Iraq. As a Broncos fan and sports blogger, I'm excited to see you joining the blogosphere!

All of your loyal fans are hoping your contract situation will be amended ASAP. Here's to many more years seeing #1 march on the field for last-second thrilling Broncos field goals!

I happen to run the blog over at BroncoTalk.net. The fans there would love to hear from you; let me know if you're ever interested in a little Q&A to spread the book or just chat.

Welcome home, and glad to see you made it alright. I loved all of your stories, and I hope you keep the blog going while you're home, too.

-Kyle
-BroncoTalk.net
-Contact: broncotalk@gmail.com

Danh said...

I'm with Kyle on this one.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I hope you continue to do so.

Xehania said...

Mr. Elam,
Seeing Iraq through your eyes was interesting. It reminds us all that there are many brave people in a strange land defending our freedom. I recently joined Soldiers Angels & was very interested to see what life is like for our "adopted" soldier in Iraq. Your photo of the elevator is haunting to me - it is so beautiful, and if the name implies what I think - how horrible to go through such a beautiful door to an unknown outcome under such fear and duress. I am glad for your safe return. I keep praying for all of our soldiers safe returns as well. Again, I am enjoying you & Steve Yohn's book very much.
Wendy, Bellvue, Colorado

Joe Godfrey said...

Great post. We need more Americans talking about how great this country is and how lucky we are. We live in a country that values and fights for freedom both here in America and abroad.

Pro America

Crisandwiches8 said...

Thanks Jason for supporting the troops. Great to read your posts. Must of been fun to fire a machine gun. I've been a Bronco fan my whole life and was thrilled to read your testimony. Welcome back.
Jason AZBroncofan

pnbronco said...

Jason,
Thank you so much for taking the time to go over there and let the troops know how much their sacrifice means to all of us. I also really appreciate to hear what your observations were. I saw your piece on Fox News and then did a search to your blog.

What you wrote about coming home and having a new appreciation for freedom was very powerful to me. I travel around the US quite a bit and am always happy to come home to my family. So I can only imagine what a larger magnitude you felt.

I was trying to drive to CA this week when I got caught in a bad storm in WY and stranded for about 24 hours. The kindness of total strangers was what struck me over and over again. So I appreciate your blog that helps remind all of us all the good that is out there. I say my prayers for the safety of the troops everyday and I will get a stone also.

If you have a signing for your book anywhere please post it on the blog. I just send me an e-mail. Thank you again for everything.

-Pola
- Contact: g_p_trading@juno.com

pnbronco said...

Jason,
Thank you so much for taking the time to go over there and let the troops know how much their sacrifice means to all of us. I also really appreciate to hear what your observations were. I saw your piece on Fox News and then did a search to your blog.

What you wrote about coming home and having a new appreciation for freedom was very powerful to me. I travel around the US quite a bit and am always happy to come home to my family. So I can only imagine what a larger magnitude you felt.

I was trying to drive to CA this week when I got caught in a bad storm in WY and stranded for about 24 hours. The kindness of total strangers was what struck me over and over again. So I appreciate your blog that helps remind all of us all the good that is out there. I say my prayers for the safety of the troops everyday and I will get a stone also.

If you have a signing for your book anywhere please post it on the blog. I just send me an e-mail. Thank you again for everything.

-Pola
- Contact: g_p_trading@juno.com

repent&trust777 said...

Mr Elam, Thank you for sharing your experience and thank you for supporting our troops. I have been a Broncos fan for 20 years but have recently quit watching the NFL. I am a christian and am thrilled to hear that you are as well. You have a wonderful opportunity to share the gospel with many people. I know you are busy, but I know it will be worth your while if you visit wayofthemaster.com and listen to Hell's Best Kept Secret. It is sound christian teaching and it will convict and enrich you. God bless you.